Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Just Another Day in China










As much progress as we seemed to have by the end of yesterday, we started from square one this AM. Sydney doesn’t want to have anything to do with me, although she did let me carry her for a little bit. She only wants Mike. We went for a stroller ride thinking that would help, but she just seems so sad. It is getting harder and harder to see her like this. We were able to get a few decent pics for today’s post, though. Evan just had to have her picture taken with the 'dolls' in the window.

We applied for her Chinese passport this afternoon, and then Mike took Evan to the freezing cold pool. I stayed in the room with Sydney where she cried and got really mad while I held her. After 30 minutes of torture for the both of us. I put her on the bed and sat next to her. This seemed to be more acceptable to her until I kissed her shoulder. So, we loaded up in the stroller and headed to the pool. When we came back, we spent some time bonding with Cheerios and stacking cups. As we were playing a few different games with her, we got her to say 'baba' which is dad in Chinese. It is no surprise that eventhough the orphanage said she can say mama, she would not.

5 comments:

Sparks said...

I love that picture of your girls' little hands!

We're praying that things get better quickly for all of you as we know they will eventually. Thanks for sharing your amazing journey with all of us!

Linda and David said...

Oh Melissa! I know EXACTLY what you're going through right now & I'm so very sorry! I thought I was prepared for Micalee not wanting anything to do with me, and I was mentally, but not emotionally!!! It is so hard not getting to hold & cuddle with this little one you've waited so long for! What worked for us was just what you said you're doing. We sat Micalee on the bed & let her play with me sitting next to her or on the floor next to the bed. Lots of bonding/attachment activities, like putting bows in each other's hair (and yes, Micalee's hair was just as short as Sydney's!) or rubbing lotion on each other's hands or face. She eventually started letting me into her little broken heart & started letting me carry her. And when she really turned around & wanted me just as much (if not more) than David was the medical exam. We played good cop, bad cop! David would hand Micalee to the examiners & I was the rescuer! That day was a true turning point for us! It felt like things would never get better, but it did, so hang in there! Her life has been turned upside down! She will eventually see all the love you have to give her!

Linda

Mary Malone said...

Poor Sydney:-( As much as it hurts to see her like this, we know that not too long from now she will be all smiles loving on her mommy!!!! Hang in there. Praying for your entire family!!!!

The Oberle's said...

Our hearts and thoughts are with you. Sydney will know and appreciate the love of her amazing mama very soon! You all are so lucky to have each other.
Sara sends a big hug to Evan!

MG said...

Once that little girl knows how much she is loved she is never going to want you to leave. What a hard thing to go through but she is so beautiful and so blessed to get such an awesome family.